10.07.2009

"Who's Your Daddy"


I attended a MESIA conference at Berklee College in Boston, MA about a year ago when I seen all the business figures that I admire. A few of them were one of Jay-z's lawyers, Nirvana's former manager and authors of some informative, motivating music business books. After the panels were done with their discussion, I waited to speak to the lawyer and manager. They asked what college we (members of my club's chapter) were representing, our majors, and where we were from before I could even offer them a compliment. I told the businessmen (they weren't suits which intrigued me more) that I was from Waterbury, CT. The lawyer asked "the state and city that has the most criminal records of governors and mayors?"
My experience with "representing" my home has been either ignorance or of negativity. People assume Connecticut is a "rich state", those who know better know that the "richer" a state the poorer the poor and middle are. Waterbury has many nicknames, BrassCity, Dirty Waters, Grimmebury, H20... Most people don't know that we have amazing independent artists, athletics that went further than playing for the UCONN Huskies, and talented people have arisen from one of the country's most overlooked states for music.
Recently I have been asked my opinion on once was a local rap group, Mook&Fair of Waterbury, CT, whom was just signed to GS Entertainment. In the past, I have hurt some feelings by my raw opinions, but I refuse to sugarcoat them regardless if they are my people. I checked out their new website in which there contained some clips of their newest music video "Who's Your Daddy". I was extremely disappointed. The first scene I saw was the driving into Hartford's highway sign. Immediately, I asked if it was shot in Hartford and why. The response was even more disappointing. That was the only scene shot in CT. The video was shot in New York. I felt this was CT's chance to finally have raw urban footage of our state to expose to the country. Expecting nothing different that New York, southern and west coast rappers have done. I assumed wrong.
This is not to take anything from Mook&Fair at all. I have always respected their hard work and supported their love for music even if it wasn't something I would normally be a fan of. They are good men and have supported many community events. I will always support and love my hometown people and artists.
Now CT has been known to have artists who have either denied or have not told people where they were truly from, ex; Jagged Edge from Hartford. I just felt that after years of striving for this national success and touring throughout the country after being supported from local heavy rotation of their songs, CT could shine alongside our people.

1 comment:

  1. This is 100% truth. I'm going to post their finished video on my blog, solely off of the reasoning that they're from here. But I don't really see why they couldn't do the video here. Granted it is there 1st video so, only time will tell.

    ReplyDelete