10.27.2009

Bi-Racial Korean Racism





There is a large percentage of bi-racial people in the world today, and the numbers progressively increase every year. Even though there has been changes, you would be a complete fool to believe racism does not exist still. I don't believe it will ever die. Some people fear difference whether this is ingrained over ancestry, history, and experiences or natural feelings of fear.

Korea is one of the worst cultures and countries to be from or apart of as a biracial person. Many people born from Korean or America have been biracial. This is not new by any means. Consequently the American standing military in Korean has resulted in increasing numbers throughout history.

My father met my mother while in South Korea when he was in the air force. They married on the American military base because it was illegal otherwise. My mother's family disowned her for marring not only out of her class and status, but out of her race. She was forced to move to America to be with my father. I do not know my mother's family. I have never spoken or seen them.

This is not a unique story for those biracial Koreans whom I have met. Most of us have similar stories of not being fully accepting in our non-Korean ethnicity while completely disregarded from Koreans.
In Korea, many biracial children have been placed in shelters. There are many shelters in Korea for just that purpose. Biracial Korean citizens are not given citizenship and just recently some have been granted the right to join the Korean military. Most have not had the right or opportunity to become educated. We are simply outcast from our own culture. Korea believes in keeping and upholding the "purity" of 100% blooded Koreans. In 2009, this is disgusting!

Not only do biracial Koreans have to endure the prejudices of being Asian (which in my opinion has been one of the most scrutinized races through stereotypes), but also the racism and injustice from our own culture and people. Then most of us including myself are not accepted by the other half of us. Whether it is white, black, or so on.
Korea is only doing a disgrace to themselves and holding back their own people from progressing as a dignified people.It took me years to overcome and accept myself despite both sides of my family not doing so. I used to hate myself and feel embarrassed. For the last three years, I have been involved in this issue.
"Rosa sat so Martin could walk, Martin walked so Barack could run, Barack ran so we all can fly."



No comments:

Post a Comment